Recently one of our clients asked whether there is a need to create “mobile-friendly” emails. As a company who offers lead nurturing and management to our clients using email marketing and marketing automation, this is an interesting question. Is it important that emails are mobile-friendly? The answer is yes, mainly because of the ubiquitous use of mobile devices to check emails. Today, 91% of consumers check email at least once a day on their smartphones, according to a mobile behavior survey conducted by Salesforce. Optimizing for mobile customers is a critical factor in the success of your small business’ email campaigns.
Here are some essential basics in making emails more friendly for mobile devices.
- Stick to a one-column design. Unlike websites, email clients are typically not responsive, so sticking to a one-column format really helps in readability.
- Increase the font size. Even with the ever-increase screen sizes of mobile devices, it is usually good practice to make the font size of the email high enough of readability. How high is high? We recommend 16pt. font size.
- Optimize your images. This includes your logos. Since most people reading emails on mobile devices tend to be on cellular data, it will be prudent to optimize and reduce the size of the images on the emails for fast loading.
- Optimize your call-to-action buttons. Buttons need to be large enough and with enough white space around the button to allow users with large fingers to click on the buttons.
- If possible, use mobile-friendly templates. Many email service providers like Constant Contact provides mobile-friendly templates. If you are not in a position to create mobile-friendly templates for your email campaign, use one of the ones provided by the email service provider.
Email is a great way to keep customers engaged with your business. Engagement is important, especially if use prudently to nurture and generate leads. Make sure they open, read and act on the offers in your emails by making them mobile-friendly!
As always, if you have any questions, we are here to help. Contact us for a free consultation. It’s amazing how a little marketing and move your business forward in a long way.